Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review: Snyder's "Pounder" White Corn Tortilla Chips



One reason for this review post is that I have had a crazy work week and been living off of PBJ's and Caesar salads the past few days...ergo not much cooking.  The second reason is because these chips are great.

If you had asked me two weeks ago what Snyder's made I would have only said pretzels, little did I know they also made chips.  These white corn tortilla chips are crisp and sturdy with just enough salt to give flavor but not overwhelm the chip.  This works well with dips too as the chip accentuates the dip without taking away from the flavor.  It is also strong enough to get a good scoop without fracturing into the dip leading to sadness and frustration.  The bag also feels weighty given that there are a pound of chips and I felt that I got my money's worth, especially at 2 bags for $5, remember that some chip bags can cost $5 on their own so this was a great deal.

The only negative I had was completely superficial.  Being used to either yellow tortilla chips or white tortilla chips with a bit more flecking the chips do look rather bland, though they also look like they actually were cut from tortillas and fried which is nice.  Also, the look belies the taste so don't turn them away because of it!

Outside of their taste they are also seem fairly...or I should say comparatively.... healthy.  One serving (~13 chips) has 140 calories, 4.5g of fat, and only 5% of your daily sodium.  The chips are fried in Canola Oil and purport to have 40% less fat than regular tortilla chips.  They also pack 2g of fiber and 2g of protein so combined with a hummus, bean, or guacamole type dip you could easily make a filling snack without feeling guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment