Sunday, September 11, 2011

Recipe: Sweet Potato Latkes

At the farmers market this past Wednesday, I picked up some white sweet potatoes.  Generally, my first reaction when I come across an ingredient that I'm not familiar with, or one in a different variety I like to buy it and cook with it.  In this case I roasted the potato last night (it was big and wound up taking like 2 hours at 350)  I then mashed it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a tad bit of butter.

You will need:
One large sweet potato, cooked and mashed
Dab of butter
Cheese, I used smoked mozzarella
Thyme, for garnish
1/2 English Muffin, toasted

Take a large tablespoon of the mashed sweet potato mixture and form it into a patty.  Heat a notch of butter over medium heat in a pan until hot.  Add the potato patty and cook until just browned on each side (3-5 minutes depending on how high the heat is).  Top the patty with a little cheese and cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil roof so the cheese can melt.  Place it on top of the english muffin and garnish with a few thyme leaves, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment