Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Recipe: Mixed Greens with Clementines and Apple Cider Vinaigrette


So let me start off by saying how sorry I am for such a long gap between posts, my exams got in the way.  That being said, I have lots of great recipes to share with you all over the coming days, and I'm going to start with this one.  Over Thanksgiving, my family had a variation of this salad at my aunt's house.  She used blueberries where I used clementines, though any berry (strawberry and blackberry also come to mind) would be great in this.  If you don't have a few clementines on hand, I think a can of well drained mandarin oranges would also work.

On a different note, if you wanted to leave out the greens, the clementines could be tossed with the dressing, almonds, and feta to make a lovely citrus salad/salsa.  I would love to hear back if any of your try these variations.
*Note to vegans, the dressing contains Worcestershire, so it is not vegan in this form, but I believe there are substitutes for it out on the market.
This recipe makes 4 side salad portions or two dinner portions, but can easily be doubled.



For the salad:
One bag mixed greens, washed and gently dried
~1oz slivered almonds, lightly toasted (directions follow)
3 clementines, peeled and separated into segments
Good handful of feta (to taste)

For the dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt

Start by whisking together all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.  Next take the slivered almonds and toast at 350 degrees until lightly browned. This will take somewhere between 5-10 minutes.    Shake the pan every few minutes to make sure they do not burn.

Pour about half of the dressing in a large bowl.  Add in the clementines and stir to coat.  Next add in the mixed greens and carefully combine.  Finally, add the almonds and feta and give it one more gentle stir to toss them through.

No comments:

Post a Comment