Friday, January 20, 2012

Snacktime: Hummus


I love hummus...and I love it even more now that I have a food processor (I'd recommend a 10-14 cup one for this recipe) and I can make it for myself. Not only is it significantly cheaper but I can control exactly what goes it in, which is always a plus.  Also, it couldn't be easier.  The one tough ingredient for hummus is the tahini paste which is made from ground sesame.  It can be found at many groceries, though I could not find it at Wal-Mart.  Best advice is to check a Publix, Hy-Vee, Wegmans, or the like.  The tahini will set you back 6 or 7 dollars but you will get lots of hummus batches from the bottle. I used olive oil in the recipe, but you could play around with other oils or sub out up to half with the liquid from the chickpeas.



You will need:
2 cans chickpeas (garbonzo beans), drained with some liquid reserved if desired
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1 torn handful of parsley, optional
2 1/2 Tablespoons tahini
1/2 Lemon
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper flakes, paprika, cumin (optional)

Start by putting the garlic cloves in the food processor and pulsing them until finely chopped.  Add in the chickpeas, tahini, the juice of the half lemon, and parsley and blend on low to medium speed until combined.  Taste, and add salt and pepper as well as any of the other seasonings you want.

Hummus is one of those things that is really a personal taste so stop and taste often and adjust to your preference.  I used just a sprinkle of salt and a big dose of pepper.  I added some red pepper flakes for some heat and a bit of paprika and cumin for depth of flavor.

After you've added the spices, turn the processor back on low to medium and begin slowly adding in olive oil through the top as the blades are running.  Continue adding until it reaches your desired consistency.  Top with a bit more chopped parsley if desired and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me want to get a food processor!

    ReplyDelete