Thursday, March 1, 2012

Recipe: Roasted Cauliflower

Cauliflower was one of those vegetables that I never had much growing up.  I've always enjoyed it in Indian dishes and other cooking but it isn't something that I've used much myself.  That is all going to change.  I should have known to try roasting it, roasting makes everything better...and here, it works magic once again.  If you think you don't like cauliflower, try it this way and hopefully you will experience the same revelation I did.

The cauliflower turns from bland and boring to golden and nutty and is so easy to prepare.  For a dipping sauce I used a mix of ketchup and sriracha, though a peanut sauce, aioli, or tomato sauce would work nicely as well.  If you have kids this could pass as a new type of "fry." Half a head of cauliflower is enough for 2-3 servings (or one.  Hey it is cauliflower...no shame).





You will need:

Half head cauliflower, cut into equally sized florets or bunches (see pics for reference)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil.  Toss the cauliflower in the oil.  Season with salt and pepper and a generous amount of paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.

Baking time will differ depending on your oven.  At 400 I baked mine for 25 minutes, turning once.  Just keep an eye on them because you want them to get nice and caramelized but don't want them to burn.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment