Monday, February 28, 2011

Recipe: Cube Steak Cheese Burgers

Today I wanted a burger.  This was made difficult by the fact that I had no ground beef, no grill, and it was raining.  It was made easier by my knack for improvisation.  I had laid out some cube steak in the fridge and some rolls and cheese.  The recipe itself couldn't be easier:

You will need

1 pack cube steak (comes 3 to a pack, I found mine on sale for about $1.60)
Hamburger buns or rolls
Your favorite cheese
Sides (I did frozen green beans (16 cents a serving) and sweet potato fries (52 cents a serving)
Salt and Pepper

To cook the cube steak I coated in some flour, salt, and pepper. Heat a bit of oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Once the pan is extremely hot put in the cube steak (you should hear a loud sizzle). Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until the juices run mostly clear.  Top with cheese and put a lid over the pan so the steam will quickly melt the cheese.  Remove from heat and serve on your choice of bun.

I had never tried this recipe before today and from what I found the taste and texture of the cube steak done in this way was really nice.  I also liked that I didn't have to worry about the "burger" falling apart. My one caveat is that there were a few bites where the meat attempted to escape the burger  with the bite I took.  This was few and far between though.

Here is the finished plate:

No comments:

Post a Comment