Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review: Alexia All Natural Sweet Potato Julienne Fries

I love sweet potato fries.  At this point in my life I think I love them more than regular fries so I am always looking for a way to have them at home instead of having to go to a restaurant to find them.  Problem is that many stores either don't carry them or they are expensive.  I also don't have the proper kitchen equipment or fortitude of will to buy my own sweet potatoes and cut them into fries.

The other day I was walking through the store and I saw the Alexia brand Sweet Potato fries for $2.09.  The bag isn't huge but I got 4 servings out of my bag, which is not a bad deal on sweet potato deliciousness.  The fries couldn't be easier to make either.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cook, flipping once or twice.  For the first serving of them I cooked it the recommended amount of time- around 22 minutes.  The fries had a great flavor but weren't as crispy as I tend to like them, a problem that oven cooked fries will often have.  For the second cooking I let them cook closer to 30-35 minutes.  The fries were a little crispier but I don't think they would ever get the crunch of an oil fried fry.

That being said the fries themselves have a great flavor and taste like sweet potato.  The insides even manage to retain a bit of the "stickiness" that sweet potatoes have which gives a great mouth feel to them.  If you are watching your sodium these fries come with either very little or no salt on them so they are a great alternative to heavily salted potato fries.  Whats more is you probably won't even be wanting to put that much salt on them.

All in all I would definitely recommend everyone to try these if you can find them.  The ease of preparation, cost, healthiness, and flavor outweigh the lack of total crispiness.

4 out of 5 sweet potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment